"Machete Genocide is an educational documentary to increase awareness about the genocide in Rwanda. The movie will feature interviews with both survivors of the genocide and rock musicians. The branding will be used in the movie, on the website and possibly on the principal artwork. We are not certain when or if the movie will ever be broadcast or distributed but we plan for the best; it may only be available across the internet."
Thegenocide in Rwanda took between 800,000 and 1 million lives in about 100 days.The movie has undertaken to interview survivors that escaped certain death and machetedismemberment by Hutu extremists. It was a violent and tragic event that tookplace and many people in Africa and worldwide feel that the world didn’t seemto notice or do anything to stop the murders. In order that we can reach aslarge an audience as possible with this message, and hopefully to forever stop atrocitieslike this from happening, we will be interviewing popular punk and metal bands tohear their messages for the youth and their ideas to spread the message ofpeace and hope. The movie, if successfully completed, may feature variousdistribution methods and the contest winner will sign a copyright transfer thatwill be attached to the movie.
The target group is 14 – 19 year old youth
The design will hopefully incorporate the following elements but this is amovie for youth and we encourage you to really get your creativity flowing onthis one... We will also need DVD covers, more poster art, and so on, so ifthat affects your designs, go wild!
APRIL 11 UPDATE - This is the best article on the genocide that I could find: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwanda_genocide and the most accurate machete form what I have learned is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M…_blade.jpg. I am posting parts of this message to the contest brief to enhance understanding amongst the designers. Thanks for your great work and have a wonderful day.
NOTE - There is no representation similar to Anti-Flag (the rock band) I am including 5 design samples that contain elements that may better showcase the vision, I went through about 700 logos and these are by no means as heavy as the theme of the film or meant to represent it all, they do however feature very clean graphics with high impact. I hope they inspire you.
GREAT ICONIC AND EMPOWERING:
ADDITIONAL LOGO STYLE SAMPLES:
***I started by putting comments beside each logo and then decided that those may tend to direct your hands...
- A Chinese machete. Pleasecheck Wikipedia to learn what style of machete was used.
- Eye catching and Iconoclastic
- Should look good on a DVD cover
- May use the new Rwandan flag or not
- May use a “wood-block”style from Russian propaganda art
- Incorporate rockstyles and artwork like those found by Anti-Flag
- The movie ispolitical, it can incorporate aspects of empowerment, strength, courage, risingup
- Colors can be boldand shocking, red blood, burning yellow sun
- Can include rock androll references, music notes, guitar, musician outline
- a holiday look
- anything that looks old fashioned or dated
- anything that detracts to heavily form the very serious subject matter; should be a cross of art, culture, and political icon