Have you ever been in a city and didn't know where to go, what to do or how to get somewhere. Dardig aims to be the resource to finding your way around African and Middle Eastern cities; helping people get out and about. It will hold listings of local events, businesses, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc...
Dardig will be similar in nature to Google Maps, where a user will be able to search for a point of interest, category or event type and have the result(s) displayed on a map so their geographical locations are easily identified.
The word "Dardig", which is Arabic (written in Latin characters) is equivalent to the English word "Roll" (definition below):
Roll : –verb
1. to move along a surface by revolving or turning over and over, as a ball or a wheel.
2. to move or be moved on wheels, as a vehicle or its occupants.
3. to revolve or turn over, once or repeatedly, as a wheel on an axis or a person or animal lying down.
4. (Informal) . to begin to move; to go: Let's roll at sunrise. Let's roll (let's go)
5. (Informal) . to go forward or advance without restrictions or impediments: The economy is finally beginning to roll.
The arabic word is pretty much used in exactly the same way it's English counterpart is, whether in formal or slang. Even though all of the above meanings apply, the meaning we're most interested in implying by the name is #4
Help us help people get out and have fun.
Enjoy and happy designing :)
The users of Dardig will mostly fall within the age range of 17-35. They are comfortable with and have embraced the web in their daily lives (remember, it's not as adopted in that region as it is in the west), and as such, are considered part of the forward-thinking "hip" crowd.
The site will mainly be used to find places to go for entertainment (e.g. theaters, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, events, etc…), and to a lesser degree businesses (offices, stores, barber shops, etc…)
-A logo that is not restricted to a particular culture
-Should somehow reflect the implied meaning(s) (see above)
-Clear, simple and clean design
-Logo would be described as youthful with a subtle strength, hip and light. See the attached "logos I like" document for examples.
-Color combinations preferred are orange, shades of grey, and/or possibly blue; but will also consider other colors
-The name in the logo should lend itself to easily being replaced by the arabic text name (we can take care of the actual replacement if you prefer)
-Alternatively, logos incorporating both, the English and Arabic text names, are very much welcome and appreciated but not mandatory as long as the previous point is met.
-This is not a tourist guide so please no designs of earth, planes and cars
1) Please read the public comments I've made since they include valuable suggestions, hints and feedback.
2) Please keep in mind that in addition to "rolling" dardig also means "going" so you may also want to experiment with concepts that portray that (e.g. silhouette walking, shoe footsteps, bare foot steps, etc...). Just a suggestion :) More ideas/concepts would be great too. Get creative
3) Please do not let the Arabic text get in the way of your creativity. We would much rather have something that looks good in English than something that's average but has both languages
Attached are the following files:
"arabic_text": arabic text that you may copy and paste in your design.
"logos_I_like": some logos I like that satisfy the above requirements for their respective businesses. I'm open to different concepts though.
"marker_icon": the map marker/pin icon we're using on our website in case you would like to reference it.
If you would like the files in a different format please let us know. Also, feel free to ask any questions you may have; we'd love to work with you.