The design task is to create a logo and graphic style for The Bigr Picture.
Specifically, we require the following items:
- A Bigr Picture logo
- Bigr Picture web page design – suggested page designs for the home page, and a sub-page.
We are open-minded regarding the logo name – should we go for:
Bigr Picture OR BigrPicture OR The Bigr Picture
We would like your feedback on this (and are open to variations on the above).
Essentially, the objective is to get people to recognise, remember and return to the website.
The websites registered will be BigrPicture.org, BigrPicture.com. We have also registered variations including TheBigrPicture.org /.com and BigrPicture.org.au/.com.au.
The Bigr Picture
Do you see the Bigr Picture?
We are a not for profit organisation whose aim is to help people do exactly that – see the bigger picture.
The Bigr Picture is a not-for-profit website using images of the world around us as our inspiration to learn, change and act to improve social and environmental issues - now.
The Bigr Picture presents viewers with Earth Facts and related photographs, which encourages the viewer to think about a given topic and potentially want to either discuss or explore that topic further. The associated images are related to the fact and act as a powerful means of simply and succinctly helping to communicate the message. A picture tells a thousand words after all.
An example of the initial design of the site is attached for your reference.
The Bigr Picture therefore is a project to create a “space”:
• To promote awareness of Earth Facts – facts about the world we live in;
• Where people can think about and discuss these Earth Facts; and
• Where photographers can present their pictures, which will be displayed and related to the Earth Facts.
The Bigr Picture is not political or opinionated, hence creating a safe and positive environment to promote learning and questioning rather than preaching.
The potential of the Bigr Picture is to be the Wikipedia of social issues, telling the story using pictures as well as words.
The project is in it’s initial stages, with the first round of web development complete. It is however already expanding, with a marketing resource and many volunteers already joining the team to help build and extend the vision!
The impetus to create the website was the success of Yann Arthus-Bertrand’s photographic exhibition “The Earth from Above: an aerial portrait of our planet – towards sustainable development” [Link]. Yann's exhibition was a moving collation of pictures from around the globe with related "earth facts" which prompted the viewer to think each given topic.
The Bigr Picture Aims
The aim of this project is to create awareness of the issues facing the world we live in.
Secondary goals of the project are:
• To position The Bigr Picture as a reference and educational tool;
• provide an(other) avenue for photographers to present their work to a global audience;
• create a community for people “meet” and exchange ideas and opinions relating to the Earth Facts; and
• To create a stimulus for and facilitate action on social and environmental issues.
A key to achieving the aims of The Bigr Picture is community participation.
Presenting the concept via the web has significant advantages to Yann's physical exhibition, as powerful as that is. Namely, it enables:
• The community to create the content: users are encouraged to send in "Earth Facts" (which must be referenced to verifiable independent sources) and / or photographs and illustrations that they feel are relevant to a given topic.
• The website provides links to further information for people to explore a given topic, should they wish;
• The website allows people to comment on each "Earth Fact" and /or its associated photo, participating in a discussion.
The target market for The Bigr Picture is divided into two areas – the Users, which are our main focus, and Partners. Partners are sponsors who will help us grow and augment the project as we expand.
The Bigr Picture Users
The initial target for The Bigr Picture is most easily summed up as facebook users. Attached are two personality profiles for the target user.
Key target attributes:
- Although the initial marketing launch will be focussed on Australia, will be a global user base from day one. As the project develops, The Bigr Picture will target countries with medium to high web penetration where English is spoken as the first or second language. Over time other languages will be added.
- 18-21 years (will have ‘halo’ from 16-35yrs)
- Gender neutral
- Currently in higher education or just commencing career.
- Gen Y.
- Personality – open, sociable and thinking individuals. A proportion more likely to be artistic or design-minded as well.
- Psychographic Profile – positive, pro-active and goal oriented.
o Have broadband access at home / Uni
o Already using social networking site such as Facebook.
o Have a digital camera / phone which can take higher res photos.
- Readiness to give time & / or money.
o Likely to be reasonably aware of social and environmental issues. Either already contributing in some way, or have desire to contribute.
- Attitude to product
o Believes in community and charity work and not anti business;.
o Motivated by social and environment issues.
The Bigr Picture Partners
Partners are our potential donors & sponsors. They, as a company / organisation, are likely to have a similar personality to our users. We are still in the process of defining our target donors, as per the Users above. However, the most likely profile is …
- Larger, Australian-based business (potentially part of an international corporation);
- Have a policy and potentially existing donation / sponsorship relationships;
- Involved in industries related to the core of The Bigr Picture such as photography, media, and technology or with extensive links in the community;
- They will be relationship-driven organisations.
Besides being front of place on the Bigr Picture website, the logo will potentially be used in the following applications:
- merchandise – i.e. T-shirts, posters and cards.
- Partner websites
- Exhibition signage.
This may be in Australia, or may be global. Therefore, we require:
• the logo to identify the project and drive traffic to the website; and
• communicate the purpose of the project in a way that will work universally (if possible).
The brand positioning is a place to see the world we live in. i.e. The Bigr Picture is a project to promote people to view the world around us in its totality. Being inspired by images, participating, changing and appreciating the world we live in.
It is positive, but real.
Note: a tagline will be forwarded to the designer shortly.
The look and feel of the website and therefore the logo needs to be very Web 2.0. Particularly given the focus on photography, the use of clean design with crisp white space framing the imagery is broadly the direction we would like to go.
- All capital letters
- Busy design
- A style copy of flikr / istockphoto