At the most basic level I need:
- A new banner, maybe with two different versions - a larger one for the homepage and a smaller one for the content pages.
- A new menu system design that can accommodate a larger menu system than the current site design and that can also be added to in the future (by me) using a CMS.
- Mock-ups of the major types of content pages.
- All graphical elements need to be cut up, ready to go for my web programmer – WINNER only. The design should be dark and/or mysterious in some way to tie in with the crime fiction theme. Ideally, "PD Martin" should be written in similar font/s to my book covers. Not all covers are on my website at the moment - please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to see all of them. Also, different countries are using different fonts, but it would be good to pick up one of them.
To help in the design process, below is a DETAILED breakdown of each page that may have slightly different layouts.
- a homepage - with subscribe area and latest 2-3 news stories/headlines and maybe graphical links to my facebook and crimespace pages
- general content pages
- news & events section/pages (the current system will need to be changed to archive news by year, so the design will need to cover this)
- Each news page should have the ability to include an image (like http://www.pdmartin.com.au/news.asp?id=62
- A blog page
- A subscribe page that uses radio buttons or checkboxes so users decide what they’re subscribing to:
1. News & events
3. Other site updates/changes
- A page for all the different book covers (like
http://www.karinslaughter.com/foreign.shtml) although I'll probably just use this basic layout/idea anyway so maybe this could fit under the general content page design(?)
- Photo gallery page(s) with index system to allow for expansion
- A video sub-menu page that display videos - maybe just grabs/still of the video and then click on it to play.
- FAQs page - redesigned to cope with large number currently in there. I'm going to split this section into author questions and reader questions and then archive previous years. Note this section also needs to cater for Post a question and this should be more prominent than current page.
- Scrolling reviews on pages like Michael Robotham's site: http://www.michaelrobotham.com/aus/index.htmNew proposed site structure
- “About” with sub-menu items of PD Martin, Sophie Anderson, My publishers and My blog
- “Books” with sub-menu items of Body Count, The Murderers’ Club, Fan Mail, The Killing Hands, Book 5, Meaner than Fiction, Around the globe, Signed copies & bookplates and Buy
- "News & events" with sub-menu items 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005
- "Media" with sub-menu items Reviews, Interviews, Photo Gallery, Videos, Audio and For the media
- FAQs with sub-menu items of Author and Readers. "Readers" also needs to feature archive system